R/V Lake Guardian Educator Workshops 2022 T-shirt design contest announcement
What are Lake Guardian Educator Workshops?
Lake Guardian educator workshops are once-in-a-lifetime experiences. These workshops provide opportunities for educators to participate in ongoing Great Lakes research and monitoring, to collaborate with scientists, to establish relationships with other teachers in the Great Lakes region, and to bring home Great Lakes educational resources to use with their learners. In 2022, two educators workshops will be held. One will be on Lake Superior, and one will be on Lake Huron.
Who can participate in the T-shirt design contest?
Any undergraduate student currently enrolled in a college or university in any of the Great Lakes states ( i.e., Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) who are majoring in or are interested in marketing, communications, graphic design, or another related field are encouraged to participate.
What does a previously designed Lake Guardian T-shirt look like?
See a previous T-shirt design.
How do I submit designs?
Submit a .pdf or .jpg of your design via this submission form.
When should the designs be submitted?
Design submissions will be accepted until Thursday, March 31, 2022. The winner will be notified April 15th.
- Add to your professional portfolio
- Winning designs will be featured on 2022 Lake Guardian Educator Workshop T-shirts
- Money prizes will be awarded to selected first-, second-, and third-place designs for each lake ($100, $50, and $25)
- Help teachers commemorate a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity
- Runner up designs may be featured on the Minnesota Sea Grant website
- Learn about the Great Lakes
Designs must fit on the back of a T-shirt and measure approximately 12 inches wide by 8 inches tall. Final designs must be shared in a vector file format, .eps or .ai is preferred. Design should look good on a blue, gray, green, brown, or khaki colored T-shirt.
Required for Lake Superior T-shirt design:
If you are submitting a design(s) for the Lake Guardian educator workshop held on Lake Superior, include the phrases “Lake Superior Workshop 2022,” “Shipboard science for educators,” and “R/V Lake Guardian.”
Required for Lake Huron T-shirt design:
If you are submitting a design(s) for the Lake Guardian educator workshop held on Lake Huron, include the phrases “Lake Huron Workshop 2022,” “Shipboard science for educators,” and “R/V Lake Guardian.”
You may submit one T-shirt design for each of the two workshops (Lake Superior and Lake Huron), or submit up to two T-shirt designs for one of the workshops (Lake Superior or Lake Huron).
Terms and conditions of design use:
Design submissions to this contest must be your own. Design submissions should be unique to this contest and should not be repurposed designs from other/outside contests or competitions.
The Great Lakes Sea Grant Network and the Center for Great Lakes Literacy are authorized to use, reuse, reproduce, distribute, redistribute, modify, and/or change materials submitted for this contest.
Additional information to help inspire you and inform your design:
- Get educators’ perspectives on previous workshops on Lake Superior and Lake Huron Note: Blogs on these pages feature multiple shipboard science workshops. Be sure to reference Lake Guardian blogs.
- The theme of the 2022 Research Vessel (R/V) Lake Guardian Educator Workshop is “The Great Lakes support a broad diversity of life and ecosystems.”
- Read more about the theme under Great Lake Literacy Principle 5.
- Read about the Lake Guardian.
- Read about Lake Superior and Lake Huron
- See food web information about Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
This T-shirt design challenge is hosted by Minnesota Sea Grant.
Contact Marte Kitson, Minnesota Sea Grant, at [email protected] or 218-726-8305.