Great Lakes literacy is an understanding of the Great Lakes’ influences on you and your influence on the Great Lakes.
- The Great Lakes, bodies of fresh water with many features, are connected to each other and to the world ocean.
- Natural forces formed the Great Lakes; the lakes continue to shape the features of their watershed.
- The Great Lakes influence local and regional weather and climate.
- Water makes Earth habitable; fresh water sustains life on land.
- The Great Lakes support a broad diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The Great Lakes and humans in their watersheds are inextricably interconnected.
- Much remains to be learned about the Great Lakes.
- The Great Lakes are socially, economically, and environmentally significant to the region, the nation and the planet.