Event Dates: July 9-15, 2018
Event location: Lake Ontario
Intended Audience: 4th - 12th grade teachers and informal educators from throughout the Great Lakes basin
Applicants will be notified whether or not they have been selected by April 18, 2018.
The Center for Great Lakes Literacy, Great Lakes Sea Grant Network and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency invite teachers working with 4th-10th grade students in the Great Lakes Basin and informal educators with a Great Lakes focus to apply for a spot on this unique, expenses-paid, educators’ cruise.
Join us for a week-long professional development workshop, working side-by-side with scientists on the 180-foot US EPA research vessel Lake Guardian. Participants board the ship in Buffalo, NY on July 9 and disembark at Youngstown, NY on July 15.
- Live and work alongside scientists from SUNY – College of Environmental Science and Forestry, University at Buffalo and the US Environmental Protection Agency
- Use state-of-the-art equipment to monitor phytoplankton, zooplankton, benthic organisms and water quality
- Explore Lake Ontario ecology, geology, geography, weather, biogeochemistry and human impacts
- Study plankton, benthic organisms, water quality, and human impacts
- Examine curricula and resources and explore Great Lakes literacy and classroom activities
- Build professional networks with Great Lakes educators and scientists
- Work and learn with 14 other 4-12th grade teachers and informal educators from throughout the Great Lakes basin
- Travel through the Welland Canal, as we make our way from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario
- Visit ports along Lake Ontario to learn about the ecology, history and economy of the lake.
- Earn a stipend
- Earn two graduate credits from Ashland University (if interested – graduate tuition must be paid by the interested participants)
Still have questions? Check out the 2018 Shipboard Science Flyer.
Target audience: 4th - 12th grade teachers and informal educators from throughout the Great Lakes basin
Cost? Stipend? Travel costs? Credits?: Housing and meals aboard the R/V Lake Guardian covered. $500 stipend. Long-term support and communication with Great Lakes Sea Grant educators.
For more information: Helen Domske, New York Sea Grant, email@example.com.
- Completed application form
- Letter of recommendation (Submitted within application form)
- Personal Essay (Submitted within application form)
See instructions on Page 1 of online application.View online application